Masters of Architecture

Maine Home + Design

December 2015

Masters of Arch.smallSet atop a bluff sloping down to Casco Bay, this gambrel-style cottage was one of the first homes on Cousins Island. Built in 1905, the cottage was originally designed for an executive in charge of building the railroad up through Maine. The current homeowners asked Kevin Browne Architecture to preserve the character of this historic cottage while expanding on it to create a cozy four-season cottage for their family and extended family for years to come. The goal? To make the most of the lot and the water views. The property is situated to get a full view of the sunsets over coastal waters, which isn’t common along the coast of Maine. The existing cottage and garage were in rough shape and had been added on to haphazardly over the years. The first step in the redesign of the main cottage was to create a softened gambrel roofline that runs straight through to the water side of the cottage. On the first floor of the main cottage, a deep covered porch on the water side of the house was continued to create a wraparound porch. The homeowners wanted to preserve the high ceilings and beadboard walls of the interior spaces of the first floor, so only updates for modern conveniences were Masters of Arch bunk.smallmade. The existing garage, pieced together in the early ’80s, was removed and replaced with a gambrel style carriage house, connected to the main cottage as an extension of the porch. Since the home was originally built as a seasonal cottage, many of the renovations included energy-efficient upgrades such as closed-cell spray foam in the walls, ceilings, and floors. In addition, all windows were replaced with low-e windows, and the existing heating system was replaced with high-efficiency heat pump units.